Print Back to Calendar Return
    21.    
City Council Regular
Meeting Date: 06/13/2017  
Submitted By: Yvette Martinez, Associate Planner

SUBJECT:
AMENDMENT NO. 1 TO PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AGREEMENT NO. A2016-021 WITH MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL, INC. FOR ON-CALL PLANNING SERVICES
RECOMMENDATION:
Authorize the execution of Amendment No. 1 to Professional Services Agreement No. A2016-021 with Michael Baker International, Inc. extending the contract expiration date to June 30, 2018, and increasing the agreement’s not-to-exceed amount from $50,000 to $270,000.
BACKGROUND/ANALYSIS:
On September 9, 2014, the City entered into Agreement No. A14-125 with Pacific Municipal Consultants (PMC) for on-call planning services in an amount of not-to-exceed $50,000. Since then, the on-call planners have assisted the Community Development Department with processing a number of development projects and the contract has been renewed annually without an increase to the total not-to-exceed amount.
 
In early 2016, PMC was acquired by Michael Baker International. As a result, on January 26, 2016, the City Council authorized the execution of Agreement No. A2016-021 to replace PMC Agreement No. A14-125.
 
Agreement A2016-021 is set to expire on December 31, 2017, and after a careful review of current personnel and pending projects, staff is recommending that the agreement be extended to June 30, 2018, and that the not-to-exceed amount be increased from $50,000 to $270,000 to cover a 12-month period.
 
The original scope of services for the contract required that the on-call planner exclusively work on private development projects. Due to a recent vacancy in one of the Associate Planner positions, the scope of services was re-evaluated. As a result, the scope of services has been amended to allow for a full-time contract Associate Planner and to include minor City funded tasks. City funded tasks will be funded through salary savings from the vacant Associate Planner position and consultant costs associated with private development projects will be reimbursed through Trust Deposit Accounts (TDAs). 
 
It is expected that the planning services agreement will remain in place until the contract services are no longer required to meet current Development Services Division staffing needs.
ENVIRONMENTAL (CEQA) REVIEW:
This action of approving is not a project within the meaning of the California Environmental Quality Act (California Public Resources Code §§ 21000, et seq., “CEQA”) and CEQA Guidelines (Title 14 California Code of Regulations §§ 15000, et seq.) Section 15378 and is therefore exempt from CEQA.  It will not result in any direct or indirect physical change in the environment because it is only a preliminary action required in order to study the proposed project.  
FISCAL IMPACT:
There is no negative fiscal impact to the General Fund. The current not-to-exceed amount of $50,000 will be increased by $220,000, for a total not-to-exceed amount of $270,000. The proposed amended agreement will be divided between City tasks and private development projects. City tasks will be 10% of the proposed agreement for a total cost of $27,000. Private development projects will be the remaining 90% of the contract for a total cost of $243,000.  City tasks will be funded through salary savings from the vacant Associate Planner position and consultant costs associated with private development projects will be reimbursed through Trust Deposit Accounts (TDAs).  This item is currently included in the Fiscal Year 2017/2018 budget.
REVIEWED BY OTHERS:
This item has been reviewed by Finance Director and the Contract Compliance Officer.
Attachments
Amendment No. 1

AgendaQuick©2005 - 2021 Destiny Software Inc., All Rights Reserved