Print Back to Calendar Return
    20.    
City Council Regular
Meeting Date: 06/13/2017  
Submitted By: Yvette Martinez, Associate Planner

SUBJECT:
AMENDMENT NO. 1 TO PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AGREEMENT NO. A2016-114 WITH MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL, INC. FOR PLANNING SERVICES
RECOMMENDATION:
Authorize the execution of Amendment No. 1 to Professional Services Agreement No. A2016-114 with Michael Baker International, Inc. extending the contract expiration date to June 30, 2018, and increasing the agreement annual not-to-exceed amount from $200,000 to $250,000.
BACKGROUND/ANALYSIS:
On January 14, 2014, City Council authorized the execution of Agreement No. A14-04 with Pacific Municipal Consultants (PMC) to provide a planning consultant that would work as a member of the City’s Development Services Division and assist with the increased development activity in the City.  The contract has since been renewed annually without an increase in the consultant’s hourly rate.  
 
In early 2016, PMC was acquired by Michael Baker International. As a result, on June 14, 2016, the City Council authorized the execution of Agreement No. A2016-114 to replace PMC Agreement No. A14-04.
 
Agreement No. A2016-114 is set to expire on June 30, 2017. After a careful review of current personnel and pending projects, staff is recommending that the agreement be extended to June 30, 2018, and that the not-to-exceed amount be increased from $200,000 to $250,000. The increase in the not-to-exceed amount is due to a $20 increase in the consultant’s hourly rate from $100/hour to $120/hour. This is the first rate increase since the contract was initiated in January 2014.
 
It is expected that the consultant will continue to provide the same services outlined in the current scope of services and requires no change.  The consultant will also continue to assist with both City funded tasks and private development projects. City tasks will be funded through salary savings from the vacant Planning Manager position and consultant costs associated with private development projects will be reimbursed through Trust Deposit Accounts (TDAs). 
 
It is expected that the planning services agreement will remain in place until the contract services are no longer required to meet current Development Services Division staffing needs.
ENVIRONMENTAL (CEQA) REVIEW:
This action of approving is not a project within the meaning of the California Environmental Quality Act (California Public Resources Code §§ 21000, et seq., “CEQA”) and CEQA Guidelines (Title 14 California Code of Regulations §§ 15000, et seq.) Section 15378 and is therefore exempt from CEQA.  It will not result in any direct or indirect physical change in the environment because it is only a preliminary action required in order to study the proposed project.  
FISCAL IMPACT:
There is no negative fiscal impact to the General Fund. The current not-to-exceed amount of $200,000 will be increased by $50,000, for a total not-to-exceed amount of $250,000. The proposed amended agreement will be divided between City tasks and private development projects. City tasks will be 10% of the proposed agreement for a total cost of $25,000. Private development projects will be the remaining 90% of the contract for a total cost of $225,000.  City tasks will be funded through salary savings from the vacant Planning Manager position and consultant costs associated with private development projects will be reimbursed through Trust Deposit Accounts (TDAs).  This item is currently included in the Fiscal Year 2017/2018 budget.
REVIEWED BY OTHERS:
This item has been reviewed by Finance Director and the Contract Compliance Officer.
Attachments
Amendment No. 1

AgendaQuick©2005 - 2021 Destiny Software Inc., All Rights Reserved